I know I haven’t been publishing a new article in my blog for over a year. I don’t know why and wanted to write again. This article includes some tips. If you saw this error (Download failed on Wsus Server) on your wsus server, you can solve the problem easily. I’ll give you some information at the below and you can also follow step by step that I gave you informations. I doubt the source of the problem but I have an idea. Before you see the error, if you used the server cleanup wizard tool, this tool might be removed old updates on your wsus server. After then if you added a new client in your domain controller and if this client didn’t find updates for required own operating system over wsus server. It might be reason to the problem.
I offen use Psexec while working and I used it again to solve this problem. If you haven’t seen what is the psexec, you can see it by click here. It is very useful tool for IT staffs.
Please try the following steps on the client:
1. Start Windows PowerShell or Administrator Command Prompt run as Administrator.
2. Stop the Automatic Updates service and BITS service.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
3. Delete “%windir%\softwaredistribution” directory.
4. Start the Automatic Updates service and BITS service. When these two services have been started, they will auto-create “softwaredistribution” and its subfolder at system directory.
net start wuauserv
net start bits
5. After the “%windir%\softwaredistribution” directory has been generated, please let the client contact the WSUS server immediately.
wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
6. After 30 minutes, please check the client to confirm whether it detects needed updates.